Sunday, January 31, 2010

Ketchup and noodles




Well, the snow storm got the best of everyone this weekend. However, it was a great excuse to sleep in on a Saturday and get the house and laundry clean. Not to mention my taxes and resume are now final and complete. That is, if a resume can ever be final and complete.

As much as I love writing, and take great pride in what I put on paper, its never easy to fully promote yourself in a resume. I owe a huge thank you to Kelly and Clark for their help all weekend on this daunting task. Honestly, its a piece of paper that can change your life, but does it really tell people who you are or what you can provide?

I am at a point in my life where I need to make a long life commitment to a career and to myself. I need to finish what I started. I have put so many things off in life and said I was going to do one thing and ended up doing another. Its no wonder after all of this time, my friends and family don't take me seriously anymore. I'm sorry, its taken me so long, but it has come to me and now its time for me to show everyone what I am capable of.

An opportunity has come my way and I can't pass it up. I have the opportunity to finally have a career in something I have great passion for, something I KNOW I would be good at and something I take pride in! I don't want to let myself down, and I don't want life to continue to pass me by, as I ask, "would you like brown or white steamed rice with that?"

I have learned its time to become responsible for the mistakes that I have made and move on to something rewarding. I sit here tonight eating MY comfort food, now I know all of you with the exception of the Gordon's reading this are going to think I am insane, but its a family specialty, noodles with butter and ketchup. Yup, that's what my grandmother used to feed us as kids. Its cheap, easy, fast and did I mention cheap? I am finishing my bottle of Santa Ema and now that its about 5 days open, it is full of citrus. The grapefruit is right up front. Drinking this wine, makes me think of myself. It started off as an exciting crisp clean wine, and now finishing it, its ripe, new and mysterious. I was talking to an old and very dear friend tonight. She reminded me of how I lived life over 10 years ago, that I was full of vigor and joy and life. She told me how I had everything going for me, but somewhere down the road I lost that.

I realize now, everything changes in time. Be it your personality, your zest for life the extra spunk in your step, or the flavor in your wine. It all changes. Everyday, there is something that will tweak your personality. Wine, like people takes on an identity. It can be calm and warm, crisp and perfectly chilled, but if you let it sit too long without drinking, it will grow bitter, harsh and unbearable.


Comparing people and a bottle of wine, you should never sit around waiting for things to agitate you. Don't sit and wait for someone or something to see what you are capable of. Who doesn't long for someone to tell you that everything is going to be great? You are the perfect fit to someone, to something. There is a someone and a something out there for everyone.

My stomach is in knots, I am gambling with my future, I have no idea what is going to happen once I put that resume in an email and hit the send button. I wish life were like this bowl of pasta, that I knew exactly what I was going to get when I ate it, but its more like the glass of wine, unknowing, and full of surprise.

Now, I don't know if you are an everyday reader of this blog, or this might be your first time taking a glance, I may know you, or you might be sitting somewhere in the Midwest and just clicked on this blog by mistake, which ever the case maybe, know that there are people in this world that want the best for you. They can be harsh and full of constructive criticism, or they may be loving, kind and willing to just sit there and let you cry until you can't catch your breath. Just know, your dreams belong to you, own them, feed them, believe in them and yourself, you never know where they might take you!

Cheers!

2 comments:

lotzkelly said...

I am proud of you. I will send you a private e-mail later.

Chameleon Multifaceted said...

You are awesome, Amanda, don't forget that. Sometimes we feel lost in life and sometimes you reign the optimism in! I think you should remember what Tolkien wrote "not all those who wander are lost". I firmly believe the journey is as important as the destination. Glad you are focusing your horizons and taking on new opportunities and adventures. :)