Saturday, January 16, 2010

I met the most amazing man last night. The man of my dreams. The man of most woman's dreams. He was tall, strong, dark hair, beautiful white teeth, amazing smile, well dressed, smelled good, and the moment he walked into the room, he took my breath away. I could not keep my eyes off him all night. It was much to my disappointment that I only got to talk to him for 5 minuets under the oil lamps in the park of Rittenhouse Square.

My evening started out as this. I was going to meet someone for dinner at Tria at 8:00 pm. I was looking forward to good company, good wine and great food. What I got was mundane conversation, wine that did not impress me and and empty stomach.

Let me start with the company, as many of you know, I date, I date... well, a lot, I have my stints where I will go months with out going on a single date, and then I will hit patch where I will go on two to three different dates a week. Right now I feel like I am doing more dating than working. Hell, my DVR right now is at 91%. I need to just come home for a week and get caught up. I digress, so, my date, he spoke of nothing of interest, he wanted to tell me over and over again about his trip to Costa Rica, (yawn). And, when I said, you must be starving, he replied, "No, I ate dinner before coming out." Um, I'm sorry, did you just say you ate dinner? Let me get this straight, you invite a girl to dinner, wait 30 minutes to get a table and you don't even want to eat. What the hell are we doing here?

So, my first glass of wine, a white, because yes, I promised you all that I would add more whites into my diet, was a Savignon Blanc. Walnut Block '07 from Marlborough, New Zealand. The first sip was biter and full of mineral flavor. After allowing it to introduce itself to my taste buds, I was able to find the citrus flavors, lemon, kiwi and tropical fruit. Much like this date was going. I was able to open up and let things progress.

Next up for me was A to Z Wineworks Pinot Gris '08 from Dundee, OR. This glass was much easier to drink. Thankfully it want down quickly because my date was needing to come to an end. When asking my date why he was not going to have another, he replied that he didn't like to drink and drive. Respectfully, I can understand that, but what does that say about me? Having two glasses of wine in two hours, in my opinion does not constitute being unable to drive. But again, I respect your opinion on the matter.

I excused myself and went to text my friend Cara, asking if she was in the city, I was not about to spend $20 on parking just to have the night end after only two hours. To much of my dismay she was already in bed. Upon returning to my table, I told Tria date that I think we should call it an end. He asked if he could walk me to my car. Agreeing we walked the short block and outside of the parking garage he tried to kiss me. Really dude, really? When did I give you the impression that I wanted to make out with you at the bottom of a car lot? So, yea, I pushed him away.

After making sure he was gone I crossed through the park of Rittenhouse Square and into the doors of Rouge. A small, intimate bar, one of which, I would not normally go to, but really could not bring myself to go home. I made crazy crush eyes with the bartender.

I ordered a glass of Temperanillo, it was an '08 Condessa de Legnaza. This glass of wine was exactly what I was looking for all night. It was smooth, and romantic, I could feel it on all sides of my tongue. It lingered in my mouth. The glass was heavy and full. Lushes and alluring. When a wine makes you feel good from head to toe on the inside and out, you know you have found something very special.

It was just then I made eyes with this very special man. It was unfortunate that shortly before, Jimmy the boxer came up and started telling me his life story. Now Jimmy is one of those guys that us ladies know we are going to get a free glass of wine out of so we put up with their yadda yadda yadda about how they drive a corvette, make $3.2 million in one year and travel all around the world. Jimmy, is in his own words, "an inventor for Dicks Sporting Goods, is traveling for the next three months, has a penthouse at the Drake and a shore house in Avalon." Okay Jimmy, I will be more than happy to have another glass. However, you just crossed the line of being a snotty jerk to being a down right asshole when you said, "Hey, I might be a Jew, I am so cheap with my money sometimes." Yea, that was about the time, I was thinking...Gotta go get the car.

Now I kept making eyes with Mr. Perfect all night, but he never caught on. It wasn't until I decided to blow out, that I grabbed his arm, whispered in his ear, "you take my breath away" and ran out the door. Would you believe he ran after me! I was just about to cross back into the park when he asked where I was going, I told him, if he wanted to talk, he would have to come into the park.

So there we stood, in the cold of the night, talking. He told me he was only in town for one night, that he was here for business. That is my luck right? But looking at him I knew there was something amazing about him. He told me that all night he could not understand why I was talking to Jimmy the boxer. But sometimes people are attracted to different types. I laughed and told him that I was trying to get him to rescue me all night.

I knew we could not talk much longer for it was getting later and later and colder and colder. His friends were calling looking for him. I asked him if he wanted to exchange numbers, his facial reaction said it all...."You're married!" It was then he pulled out his left hand from his pocket. "Then why did you follow me into the park?" I couldn't understand why all of this was happening tonight.

"I wanted to tell you that someone like you should not be putting yourself out there for someone like him, you are beautiful and deserve someone amazing." I'm sorry, what is going on here, what is this conversation I am having right now? Now, I know I have had a few drinks, but is this really happening? I asked him, "Do you believe in God?" And he smiled this big white smile, and replied, "With out God, we are with out."

I just laughed, I huged this man and told him, "there is a reason I met you tonight. I am going to figure this all out, but there is a huge reason for meeting you tonight." I thanked him for coming into my life and wished him all the best.


Tonight was a perfect balance of good vs. evil. People come into our lives and leave just as quickly. We may never understand why they do. We don't have to like every glass of wine, we may love one glass more than the other. They all do a special and different thing for us. Wine for me is like a relationship with a person. You take from it what you can, enjoy it for what it is worth. Focus on the detail and remember what you can, forget what you wish, but always know, it all happens for a reason.

Cheers!

5 comments:

lotzkelly said...

I loved this blog! Your dating stories have always been the best. You have enough material for a book or advice column (like Carrie in Sex and the City!). I don't miss dating, but I do miss all the free meals I used to get! I'm sorry your dream man ended up being married. Isn't that usually the case? The best ones always seem to be taken. You need to get them right after a divorce!

GG said...

I totally agree with Kelly. Men are like parking spaces the good ones are taken and the rest are handicapped! I too had a date last night that was just OK, good food, great wine, no sparks. Wine was a Pinot Noir from Chile. I would say it was like comfort food. Just right. OH well keep looking for Mr. Right while all the time finding Mr. Right Now.

Anonymous said...

...

Chameleon Multifaceted said...

Wow! This entry reminds me of a quote: "The minute you settle for less than you deserve, you get even less than you settled for". -Maureen Dowd

April said...

Girl this posting was AWESOME!!! It made me laugh, smile, and want to hug you all at the same time. Miss and love ya and we will find them someday!