Sunday, January 3, 2010

Baby its Cold Outside


January 3, 2010

Okay, so I woke up today at 1:34pm from a text that said, "I am sitting at the bar." Quickly I jumped out of bed. Damn it...I was supposed to be there at 1:30 for brunch. I called my friend as quick as I could to tell him that I had just woke and that I was so sorry, please wait 40 min and I will be there. DAMN YOU WHITE ZIN!!!

On my drive to brunch I could still had visions of last nights wine in my head and to be honest, I don't even remember falling asleep. I think the sugar combined with the booze messed me up!

Coffee, I needed coffee, but you know, its brunch, so coffee with Baileys it is! Asking for the brunch menu the bartnder tells me that brunch ends at 3:00, Urgh, its 2:59, I could not be THAT person. So, I just settle for my libation and an appetizer of smoked salmon. All the while thinking, I have to have at least a glass of wine at some point. My friend ordered up a glass of Silver Palms Cabernet, and let me tell you, this was an amazing addition to my morning. I have never been a fan of Cabernet, but it was so refreshing after a heavy cup of coffee and the saltiness of the salmon. As I was expressing my delight for the wine, I was told that I could not perchase it in PA. DAMN YOU PA AND YOUR LIQURE LAWS!

I need to find this wine, I need to buy it from the restaurant or have it sent to me directly from the distributor because I truly feel that it may be this one Cabernet that changes my world of Cabernet drinking. It is a California wine that prides itself on the fact that it is so light it does not overpower food! Mazel Tov on that one! When I eat I want to taste the food, when I drink, I want to taste my drink, when I combine the two, I want magic to take place in my mouth. Yes Silver Palms, you did what I ask of you!

At 4:10 I left to meet my girlfriend at the local Conshy hang out, The Boat House. She had sent me a text telling me to: "be ready to drink beer." Okay, so lets think about this, Coffee and Baileys, Cabernet and now beer? What is going to come of me?

When I arrived, she was sitting amoung all of the EAGLES fans in the area, reading a book and yes, a pitcher of beer, with her obligatory salad on the table. Beer, I thought, how am I going to drink beer? So I sit with her for a short bit and order ANOTHER Baileys and coffee, (if you are keeping count, we are at 5) at this point I know I am going to be up all night. But come on, its almost 20 degrees outside and this is NOT a place to order wine. I wouldn't put it past them to serve it to me in a juice glass. About halfway into our night I found myself pouring a pint.

3 hours later I knew it was time to go home. My EAGLES had lost to the Cowboys of all teams, and I was broken hearted. Craving the warmth of a delicious red wine I refused to even look at the bottle that is sitting in between the mayonnaise and mustard bottles. I went to my old standby of Mark West. If anyone is ever in need of some White Zin...its all yours.

And so ends my experience with Beringer White Zin. It was a battle, one of which I lost and one of which I hope to never return to, fairly unscathed, I put my glass down and move forward.

Cheers!

No comments: