Sunday, January 10, 2010

Jerzacation





Hello to all! This weekend was full of nothing but relaxation, fireplaces, friendship and great food, and yes, of course delicious wine!

I traveled up to N. New Jersey late Friday night where a beautiful fire was waiting along with a fantastic chicken soup. It was only 18 degrees when I arrived in New Jersey and the soup and fireplace hit the spot.

Sharing a bottle of Riesling and two glasses of Navarro Correas was a perfect way to end my week and this very cold start to the weekend. The fire glowed a beautiful blue and having amazing conversation with a friend was just what I needed to feel relaxed, calm and warm inside.

Sleeping well into Saturday was exactly what I needed. It was around 1:30 pm when we decided to make chocolate chip pancakes and hot chocolate with mmmmMarshmellows!!!

Could there possibly be anything else that would be great? How about a nap? Falling asleep on a cold Saturday afternoon as my EAGLES lose their play off game is never a bad thing.

Saturday nights' dinner was a home cooked meal! One of which I have not made in a very long time. The Sangria was provided by my dear friend who happened to be under the weather, so...yeah, I guess that meant I had to drink it all HAHAHA! It was perfectly sweet and with added apple slices made it feel like a fiesta in a glass! In order to cut down the the sweetness, I added what was left from my Navarro Correas, now I just realized how versatile this bottle of wine really is! Okay my readers, here is how I made the best chicken Parmesan:

We had some left over whole grain baguette that had gotten hard over night, so I placed it in a blender and turned it into bread crumbs, added onion powder, oregano, salt and pepper and a touch of Parmesan cheese.

It is very important to coat your chicken in flour first, then dredge it in egg, and THEN the bread crumbs. The flour helps keep your chicken moist. Bake at 375 for 25 minuets. Then place fresh slices of Mozzarella cheese on top and allow to bake for another 5-7 minuets.

We made spaghetti, but feel free to make any pasta you wish. A great way to make sauce is open a can of tomato paste, add some warm water, onion powder, oregano, salt, pepper and shake well.

End the night with some chocolate mouse and a game of checkers by the fire, you have yourself an excellent Jerzacation!

Cheers!

5 comments:

lotzkelly said...

It sounds like you had a great weekend! It almost makes me miss cold weather (almost). Thank you for posting your recipe for Chicken Parm. I am going to try it! I love making Sangria, too, and it's always a hit at parties and with guests. I'd be interested to see how you made yours, as it can be made 100 different ways. Cheers!

Unknown said...

Kelly, the chicken was awesome and healthy because we used the whole grain bread and it was in its pure form, we didnt need to add any butter or oil.

As for the Sangria, my friend bought that, but I know from experience, the best is to buy a cheap red wine, like a cheap merlot, add your favorite fruits, and instead of adding sugar to it, add orange juice. Then a cup or so of Sprite or 7up. So many people add sugar to theirs to make it sweet, but I just feel that there is no need to do that when you can add juice. Let it all sit overnight, add a little more of the red wine the next day to cute the sweetness. You can also do this with white wine. I would use a Pinto Grigio or a Sauvigonon Blanc. Let me know how everything turns out!

Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Hello Amanda! Its Nikki from the Jury Duty. Fantastic blog, I am enjoying the reads. If you ever want to grab a glass of wine at Tria or dinner at some point let me know.

Best,
nikki

Unknown said...

Hi Nikki, so glad that you are following! I would love to meet up for a glass of wine, please feel free to add yourself as a follower to this blog or find me on facebook. Also, you can email me at phillydiamond@gmail.com.

Hope all is well!

Cheers!

Phillydiamond said...

Im sorry Nikki, its phlydiamond@gmail.com. I look forward to hearing from you soon!