Tuesday, January 26, 2010

I have a secret to tell you!




I have a confession to make. I know this may shock you, may move some of you to tears and others may turn up their nose and snicker. I may not be looked at in the same light after I make this confession, but I feel the time has come for me to put this out there for the world to know...deep breath...I like my grilled cheese sandwiches a burnt! There I said it, its out there and I can now live the rest of my life knowing I have said it for the world to hear.

I don't want it burnt to a char but I like the dark edges and the crispy center when you get the bread to that deep black. I like dipping my grilled cheese in tomato soup too! Something about the creamy cheese and crisp bread in the warm and tangy soup that brings all of the flavors together in your mouth and sets your body at ease.

As I sit here enjoying the most un-sophisticated meal of a grilled cheese and tomato soup dinner, I am slowly falling in love. Well, maybe its lust or a deep deep crush, but I know I am having very strong feelings for the Sauvignon Blanc I am drinking. Allow me to introduce you all to Santa Ema from D.O. Maipo Valley. This 2009 Chilian wine is a sweet alternative to the full body red wines I have been drinking the past few weeks.

Its butter yellow color leads you to believe that it would be rich and creamy, but at first sip the green apple hits you and then the grapefruit. I must admit, I have never ever, NEVER EVER liked grapefruit, but the small hint of the citrus wonder, cuts the cream from the cheese and the acidity of the tomato soup.

This cold crisp glass of wine was a relaxing welcome after a long day of work and a hot shower. Cooling the senses and easing the soul. I find myself melting into my couch, like the cheese into the bread, slipping my feet under the blanket like the sandwich into the soup and chilled perfectly like the wine.

Realizing, you don't have to eat the finest of foods, or drink the richest of wines, to know how to enjoy your night.

Now, judge if you will, or admit your crispy little secret here. Let it out, allow yourself to enjoy in the good things in life, be it the burnt toast or enjoying in the crispness of a new wine. We are all here to learn and enjoy from each other!

Cheers!

4 comments:

Clark said...

I love Sav....any one of them.. New Zealand ones are ggod too. PS. I like my grilled cheese a little burnt myself.

lotzkelly said...

I like my grilled cheese sandwiches burnt, too! How funny! I always have liked them this way. I also drink milk with ice and microwave my apples before eating them.

Phillydiamond said...

Clark, lets share a bottle soon!!!

Kelly, I have never heard about microwaving your apples, sounds like it could be something interesting! I am finding that a handfull of people do like their grilled cheese burnt! LOL, its funny how most people would never admit that HAHAHA! Love to all!

Phillydiamond said...

Thanks GG, remember how Rozzy used to make hers? She would use the can from the tomato soup to push down the bread and then you would have a circle in the middle. :) LOVE YOU!