Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Who Has a Sweet Tooth?

I think I hate Riesling. I know I used to really enjoy it, but now, now its just as sweet as red cool-aid on a hot summer day.

I had half of a bottle left over from Brunos visit last night and as you all know, I will not let a bottle of wine go to waste. So, I thought, what the heck, I will just finish this up and call it a night, but uhhh, its so sweet, its like a sugar lick. How do people enjoy this?

I am drinking Carl Reh 2007 Riesling, Spaltese. Or, should I say I am suffering through it. I can feel my caloric intake get higher and higher with every sip and also thinking, man, my head is going to kill me in the morning. Thank goodness there is only a glass left in this bottle.

Please, someone out there, prove me wrong. Let me know of another Riesling that is worth tipping. Or tell me why you like drinking this wine. Make me a believer, make me want to accept that this is okay. For I am sitting here, staring at this glass, wondering, wondering how this is enjoyable.

For the love of all that is right in this wine drinking world. Help me figure this one out!

Cheers!

4 comments:

Melinda said...

Hey sweetpea... sounds like you need a "dry" riesling. If you can find it in PA, Bonny Doon makes a tasty Pacific Rim dry riesling (and the price is right at under $10, at least here.)

Next time you're shopping please look for Alsace (pronounced all-sauce in case you hadn't heard of it already.) In case you didn't already know, it's a region in France next to Germany and known for producing riesling and riesling blends full of dry "minerality" that hopefully will knock your socks off. It's so good I'll drink a bottle by myself! I can't think of any labels specifically... Make friends with the Whole Foods wine person and tell them what you're looking for and they'll hook you up! Please don't give up on riesling! My wino friends tell me it's the new trendy, cool wine.

Anonymous said...

I suggest you try Riesling Relax. Its flavors include apples and peaches with just a hint of citrus.

-Lindsay

Unknown said...

Milly, Thank you so much for the suggestions! I just added them to my list so that next week when I do my shopping I can check them out. I am yet to try any of the white wines at WF. I was thinking about going over there after work tomorrow but we are supposed to get hit with a huge storm. I do need to stock up before that happens.

I am trying really hard right now to get a job with a wine distributor here in Philly. All fingers and toes are crossed.

Lindsay, I will see if Riesling Relax is here in Philly. I love a good wine I can relax with. I think that is why I was such a huge fan of Zen Zin! I think I am going to try and finish that tonight.

Thank you again ladies for reading and your suggestions!

Cheers!

Chameleon Multifaceted said...

I know what you mean... we had a Riesling tasting one summer afternoon and who would have thought a varietal could have, well, so much variety. Flavors ranged from apples to gasoline to minerals to feet. I agree with Melinda, you need a 'dry'.
I like the Chateau Ste. Michele. Give it a try!