Wednesday, February 10, 2010

I'm with William





Dear Mother Nature, knock it the F**K off! What is going on here? We got 24 inches of only 4 days ago, and now we are getting another 20+ inches!!!! How can this be happening? The news just said these are record snow levels. I have not been out of my house in over a day. The sky is glowing pink, the winds are reminiscent of the ones Dorthy and her little dog too experienced. I have not seen another living human being in almost two days. There are not even foot prints in the snow. Is this the end of life as I know it? Come on Amanda, get it together, its just a snow storm...

Now a storm like this would not be a problem for most people that get called out of work, in fact there are thousands of kids and adults alike, praying they get the call from the boss that they don't have to come to work tomorrow, however, if I don't work, I don't get paid. URGH, for the love of all that is right in this world!!! Stop snowing!

Last night I loaded up on food, coffee and treats for the news said that this storm was going to be the worst storm in history. Man, they were not kidding!

I have made the most unbelievable winter storm chili. For those of you that don't eat red meat, you will love this. Even if you do eat red meat, I promise you, you will be in for a special delight!

I took 1 pound of ground turkey and browned it with some garlic powder, Adobo spice, chili powder and salt and pepper.

I then added one can of black beans, one can of corn, one can of crushed tomatoes and one can of diced tomatoes, one can of enchilada sauce and threw it in the oven for about 25 minuets. Delish!

Tonight I need something that is going to warm me both inside and out. I have not had human contact in over a day and it looks like I wont for another day or so. I am going crazy. I am losing my ever loving mind! There are only so many times I can log into facebook and see other peoples cars covered by the snow, or how their dog got caught under a foot of snow trying to go to the bathroom. Ahh, and my favorite facebook status as of now is..."Is it snowing by you?" Um, HELLO, Its snowing across this freaking nation!

I am spending the night with William. William Hill Cabernet that is. It is a 2005 Cab out of Napa Valley. It is as dark as night in color and huge in flavor. As soon as the wine hit the tip of my tongue I could taste the sweet berries. The juice slid ever so quickly to the back of my mouth, leaving a path of raspberry, blackberry and plum. The roof of my mouth felt the oak, tingling like the pricks of a cactus from the dessert. I could taste the barrel it was soaked in and a strong sense of smoke. There is a long, long finish to this wine, almost like it is blanketing my mouth.

According to the William Hill Estate website, (http://www.williamhillestate.com/wines/bench-cab-2005.htm) these grapes were crushed and then soaked for 3-5 days in order to get the maximum color and fermentation.The wine was aged in French and American oak barrels prior to release.

Like the snow building up outside, the flavor of this wine mounts up in my mouth as well, from the tip of the tongue, to the roof of my mouth, back to the depths of my inner mouth. It is smooth and seductive, sweet yet strong and bold. A wine to be enjoyed on a cold winter night such as tonight. I recommend sharing this bottle with someone you want to enjoy a cozy night in with, or alone, where you can let your inner soul breath.

Being snowed in has its down falls, such as not making the money I need to pay my bills, but it also allows me to find out about a new juice and create a dish that will last me well into the days to come. Chili freezes so beautifully.

So, William and I are going to sit here tonight, with candles lit, watching the snow continue to pound into Philadelphia and I am going to allow myself to feel, to dream and to explore what my inner thoughts want me to.

For everyone reading this here in the North East, hang in there, drink to what is out of our control and when it is all said and done, go make a snow angel. For those of you in dryer climates, be happy you are not witnessing a historical winter and enjoy what is in your control.

Cheers!

5 comments:

Clark said...

It is God being sick of stupid global warming to make us pay more taxes for something stupid al Gore made up. Just like he invented the internet.

Phillydiamond said...

Oh Clark...

lotzkelly said...

At least you can say that you were a part of history! That's kind of cool. Those of us in warmer climates just watch the snow falling from the news in disbelief.

~Recovering Compulsive Overeater said...

You mentioned that the wine was aged in French and American oak barrels prior to release. I am wondering if they used the French or the American wine, or the wine-makers separated the wine into different barrels before combining them at the end. I learned in Argentina about the significance of oak usage in wine-making, which influences the flavor, color, texture, and tannins. Wine-makers utilize oak barrels that are either French or American depending on how porous of the oak the wine makers prefer, and oak barrels, overall, are used only for sturdier wines that can handle the toasting of the barrel. American oak is more flavorful than French oak because American oak has 2-4times times the lactones. Barrels are typically used 3-5 times, with the more premium wines using the barrels first and then utilizing the barells for the less expensive and reserves. I wonder how this winery used both the oaks to create this bottle???

~Recovering Compulsive Overeater said...

* I meant to say in my first sentence if they used French or American barrels** (not French or American wine)