Friday, February 5, 2010

The Mid-Atlantic Monster is Here!




The Mid-Atlantic Monster is what ABC news called the storm that is S-L-O-W-L-Y making its way into my front yard right now.

Since Tuesday the news had been calling for 12-24 inches of snow starting today (Friday) at 5pm going all day Saturday and ending in the evening. Then late yesterday the news said that the storm could come as early as 1pm. I think the entire city of Philadelphia and the surrounding towns went to the stores and stocked up like it was going to be the end of the world.

Honestly people, the shelves at the grocery store were bare in some places. From milk to batteries, bread to toilet paper, people were loading up. But I had this feeling all along, there was going to be no snow...okay, not no snow, but not snow of biblical proportion. At 1pm today it was 40 degrees and no sign of snow. 4pm, no snow.

So, what do I do? I head to Whole Foods and grab a salad. I honestly feel that if you live in a 10 mile radius of the store, you were there with me tonight. The lines were at least 15 people deep. I could not get over the idea that everyone in here was expecting the worst.

I headed for home and for whatever the weekend brings. I have my wine, I have my coffee and creamer, plenty of eggs, bread, cheese, Andes Mints and of course, toilet paper. So, Mid-Atlantic Monster, come and get me!

6pm no snow. Really everyone, what is the hype about? It is now 9:30pm...snow. Lots of it. About 4 inches have fallen in the past hour or so. Okay, I take it back, there is a Monster out there.

The most exciting part of a snow storm is being able to sit at home and drink your wine and not worry about going anywhere. Tonight, I am drinking Red Diamond. Yes, don't adjust your eyes...RED DIAMOND. I just love saying it!

Allow me to introduce to you an amazing Cabernet, and not a bad name if I may say so myself. From Washington state, this 2007 Cabernet is smooth and on a scale of 1-10 on being dry, I would go with a 7. Its a very easy wine to drink. There is no long finish, no after bite and very sharp on the front of the tongue. The bottle says that it "exudes style and confidence." Hmmm, sounds like another Diamond I know. It goes on to talk about the different berry's, oak and promises to be enjoyable every time. Well, Red Diamond just became this girls best friend!

I am enjoying this glass of wine with frozen double dipped Flipz. They are first dipped in peanut butter and then dipped in chocolate. Pure bliss!

So picture if you will, the snow falling outside, candles lit around the room, sitting on the couch, indulging in my frozen treat while enjoying this delicious diamond. Waiting for, well, I'm not waiting for anything this weekend. I am going to stay up late, sleep in even later.

I give up as far as guessing what this storm is going to do, but I do know that I am going to enjoy the peace and quiet, this bottle of wine and the idea of not leaving the house anytime soon!

Cheers!