Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Looking for Suggestions




Tonight I am drinking a 2008 Pinot Noir from the Private Selection of Robert Mondavi, and I so badly wanted to be in love with this wine. I so badly wanted to have a romantic interlude with this bottle, but instead I am simply satisfied. It's not a horrible experience that I am having, I am just not inspired.

At first sip, I could tell instantly that this was an American wine, grown in the hills of Central California. It is easy to taste the soil and the minerals that the earth brings to the grapes, that the land in which these grapes live still hold on to. The rugged country of Monterey is about 75 miles long and the climate provides an unusually long growing season.

Now, with the first sip, I thought to myself, "Come on, what are you tasting?" Coffee was the first thing that came to mind. I couldn’t understand why. Maybe it was because of the deep dark lush color of the wine, or the strong after-bite that I got at the end of the sip, but coffee lingered. I ended up going to http://www.robertmondavi.com/files/FlexibleFile/68/RMPS_TN_PN_2008.pdf , and it was here that I discovered WHY I tasted coffee - because there are scents of roasted nuts and toasty oak. Exactly, that was the coffee flavor I had originally tasted. However, I decided to let the wine open up a little longer. I have not eaten red meat in over a year and the only thing that I could think that would even be remotely delicious with this wine would be a medium rare filet or a pan seared lam chop. Hell, I don’t even remember what they taste like; but I promise you my friends, if that’s what you like, pour yourself a glass, fire up the grill, and I assure you, you will have yourself a great meal.

I, on the other hand, well, I am going in for more wine to see what I can pick up. I have made some egg noodles with a light marinara sauce and now the wine has taken on more of a cherry, mixed fruit flavor.

I don’t know why, I don’t understand it, I want to be enjoying this wine tonight, but I’m not. I don’t know if it’s the wine that I am not enjoying or if it's just the mood that I am in. I know that all can play a factor when drinking wine, so please keep that in mind. I know I am trying to.

I’m asking all of you out there. Help me, give me a wine that is going to relax me, something that is going to inspire me, something that is going to set me over my edge and bring me to a place of creative inspiration. Let's get interactive here. Am I hitting my wine wall tonight?

Cheers!
<3 to MP

1 comment:

lotzkelly said...

I've always considered Robert Mondavi as a "safe bet." But the wine has never set me on fire. RB is often my go-to wine when I have guests over who do not particularly appreciate wine. It's the wine that I choose at restaurants when I don't recognize any other labels. It's a wine that I know and it's comfortable for me, but it doesn't do anything extra.