Friday, March 26, 2010

Setting Some Roots



The wind was blowing so violently that the candles were dancing along to the sound of the rain beating upon my window panes. As I looked outside trying to find the moon all I could see was the distant glow from the lamp in the barn.

Evening storms were a novelty here in the coastal mountains. We never saw rain, day in and day out, dry sand and trees were an abundance, so tonight’s storm was a beautiful surprise. Cool and refreshing, romantic and exotic. Safely tucked away in the side of the hills I spent my days tending to the horses and the fields. Life here is a routine, but tonight, tonight feels a little different.

I watched as the rain slid down the glass of the window, the wood cracked in the fire and I stood and stared out the window, all I could see was purple and red glowing from that barn window. I wrapped myself in an old blanket and hugged my knees to my chest, the chill from storm and the warmth from the fire – confliction.

What is interesting about this part of Chile is that the hills are steep and rocky enough that the soil maintains the moisture for the vines to last the intense summers. That is what I love about living here. When we get storms like this, the land just knows, it knows that it is a special gift to hold on, that it needs to last long enough to last forever! An amazing bottle of wine can last forever. A night like tonight, can last forever.

With a red wine buzz, I felt the blanket fall below my arms and land at my feet. It was rare that I felt the rain on my face, I found myself moving toward the door, stepping outside I closed my eyes, the wind stood still and all I could feel was water as it fell against my face. My eyelids, cheeks, lips, I felt it run down my neck to my chest, my arms were beginning to soak it in. As my hair curled up I found myself swaying to the song in my head, ‘Where do you go when you’re lonely? Where do you go when you’re blue? Where do you go when you’re lonely, I’ll follow you? When the stars go blue.’

As my solid dance floor became a muddy mess, I looked down at my hands, they had puckered up from the moister. My clothes were soaked through and my hair was drenched. I tilted my head back one last time and allowed the sky to baptize me one last time. It almost felt as though it was happening in slow motion, plop, plop, plop, I heard every rain drop, they were beautiful. And then, then I caught a chill. Almost a bit of spice.

I caulked my head one last time to look to be sure the light in the barn was still lit, it was, so I quickly ran back into the house. I pulled the blanket up off the floor and wrapped it around my drenched body. I looked over at the fire I had made before my brief exit. It had reached its peak and sitting beautifully in its glow, rooted comfortably, my glass of 2008 Carmenere.

Root: 1 is a “lost grape of Bordeaux” from The Colchagua Valley, Chile. Carmenere is a deep red color with gentle tannins and rich flavors of plum, blackberry and spice.

I pulled off my wet tank top and jeans. I pulled on his old grey sweater and pants, pulled another blanket up close, Pressed myself back up against the wall, looking back over the hills of Chile’ I poured another glass of wine. I watched the purple and red glow from the barn and listened to the crackle from the fire and drank.


Cheers!

<3 to MP

No comments: