Wednesday, March 17, 2010

And Then Spring Kissed Me!

"I want a glass of Sauvignon Blanc today, I want one so bad," I found myself professing at the top of my lungs around noon today at work.

Alyssa looked over at me with laughter in her eyes. "Let’s go sit on Red Stones Patio and drink a glass of Sauvignon Blanc and celebrate. I'm so far in the weeds right now I don't even know where to start. Did I just say that? Who just said that? I don't know who just said that?"

I couldn't help it, I laughed uncontrollably. Yes, I lost it laughing at my friend, but it was short lived. I walked back out into the dining room and shortly found myself among those getting their asses handed to them. Running back and forth all day, the cast of characters were very different today. I have to believe that it's because it was a holiday and most people were out of work and most schools are out for spring break, but I also believe there was something special in the air.

Mother Nature put something out there for all of us to breath into our lungs and hold onto. Suck in deep to our lungs and hold on. It made us all feel a little more... a little feistier. My one very special, very wonderful table (and I do hope you, special table, have now become a fan of this blog, and, forgive me, because I've forgotten your name, but I know your son's name is Sam) ordered up a glass of Sauvignon Blanc. As I walked up to the bar and placed it on my tray, I looked at the glass and said, "I will be enjoying you later!" Matt, my bartender laughed and said, "I will be enjoying my beer!"

The day pressed on, and table after table, drink after drink, I had my eye on the prize - that cold glass of white wine was, on this first sun-kissed day, going to be mine.

I was yet to break the seal on the building. It was 5pm and my last table was eating dessert. I had to let Alyssa know that I was almost done with work so I stepped out back.

"OH MY GOD," I shouted as though there were no one around! But... there was! Two of my chefs were standing out back. "It feels like, well, it feels like sex out here. From what I remember of course." We all laughed. "Honestly, it feels as good as sex used to feel from what I remember of it!"

It was like rolling around in warm sheets, feeling pillows pushed up against you on all sides of your body, having your neck touched in just the right places, your toes tickled. Everything just felt perfect outside at that right moment. It was amazing. I could feel it on my face, in my hair. The breath of the wind touching my eyelids as I closed them, the heat on my arms. Even my fingertips warmed as my fingers hit the keypad on my phone. Sadly, it had to end and I had to go back inside.

Okay... so, I rush back inside. Much to my surprise everyone is finished, ready to go. Everything is good, check out, grab my bag and I am off!

ALYSSA!!!! She is sitting waiting! Like it is a brand new day, she is sitting there with a beautiful big glass of Sauvignon Blanc! As you all know, I am not a white wine drinker, but the first sip of this wine sent my body to that place that bodies like to go! It relaxed, it sunk, it fell, it eased, it was at peace. It was not just the wine that helped me get there. It was the company. There is something about this friend of mine that sends me to a peaceful place, she is very calm, natural and jovial.

As the patio filled up, our friend Jamie joined us for a drink. Jamie brought laughter and memories. It is always great to see an old friend and reflect. Now at this point I am sure all of you are wondering what wine is Amanda drinking? I have to be honest... we don't know! We ordered Nobel Sauvignon Blanc, but that is not what they charged us for. So... we are not exactly sure what we got!

I will say this, it was crisp like a prefect white sheet that has been hanging on the line all day surrounded by lemon and grapefruit trees. It has picked up small hints of citrus, but it's not overpowering. It still has a sweetness about it. There is a small bit of honeysuckle that you can get at the back, allowing you to feel the beginning of spring, the promise of something amazing. It makes you long for something more.

Okay, so it looks like I am going to have to return to Red Stones Patio and order a glass of Nobel and see if it tastes the same as it did today. See if it was the the stress of the day, the company I kept or sex the sun that provided the delight in the glass. Its amazing how spring has a way of making things taste so differnt.


You know, today was not an easy day, but it was one of those days that you walk outside and you feel something, you feel it on your body, organic and raw. You feel it in the people you surround yourself with. You feel it in what you put into your body. And at the end of the day, if you can know that you did everything you could do to fulfill yourself and those around you, isn't that enough?

Cheers!
<3 to MP

No comments: