Tuesday, June 29, 2010

This is Where I Find My Happy



Happiness can come at the most unpredictable and unsusceptible moments. You may find joy and happiness in the face of your child or the way your spouse or partner looks at you with love or admiration. The way a pet jumps toward you as you open the door. Happiness can be defined in so many ways, too many for this simple glass tilter to count. But hen you find something that makes me happy, I like to share it. Now, let me start by saying, I can’t take credit for this one.
Although, I have been walking through life for the past month for what appears to be a smile that you can’t peal off my face, I refuse, to take the full credit for this night of pure happiness.
Last week a kind man on an extremely long lay over was discussing the different places we have traveled and he asked me, “what is your favorite wine?” My reply to him was simple, “its all relative.” He was actually a little surprised I think by my answer. “Here let me explain, you can be in the best of moods enjoying the best of wines and it will taste amazing. Or you can be drinking the same wine and just found out that your house was foreclosed on. The wine, its going to take on a different flavor. “
I went on explaining how I didn’t really care for white wines but how on a spring afternoon, I found great pleasure in them. Or when I am sitting on the deck with one of my best friends and her daughter, they are refreshing, it’s all relative.
He sat there with a look on his face of confusion yet clarity. He got it, he knew what I was talking about but something kept him from actually saying it aloud, and that, that was okay, because this man at this moment, he was happy. Despite the fact that he would be getting home later than he had anticipated, he had found a place that was quiet, he had found good conversation and he had found a good glass of wine.

Out of his wallet he pulled a small clipping from Wine Spectator, “This is one of my favorite wines.” He proclaimed and handed the tattered paper to me. Cantina Zaccagina Montepulciano. The picture was what caught my eye. The bottle was beautiful, a hand written label with straw wrapping and a small bit of stick deco. I knew for a fact that I would forget the name, but not the bottle. Nor the way the man had such admiration for this wine, happiness, for this wine.

That night we discussed my travels, my journey through wine, his family, the fact that he lived in North Carolina and how I want to die there (The Outer Banks that is). Thinking of him now, I have a smile on my face. Meeting that man, made me, well, happy and happy to know that he introduced me to the happy night I have set up for myself tonight.

Two hours in the gym and off the find a good bottle of wine, I knew I was in the mood for something spicy and Italian for dinner, and for some reason Montepulciano was on my brain for wine. I knew I had ground turkey defrosting, but I had no idea I was going to end up at the worst wine store in Philadelphia. When I say the worst, I mean, about three foreign wines, ten domestic, twenty jug wines and as I was trying to figure out what I was going to get I overheard the conversation of the security guard and the cashier discussing who had been in jail longer. Lord, give me the strength to find something, not get raped, shot or beat down in this store! Just as I was about to give up and walk out, out of the corner of my eye I saw it, this gem, this gift, this bottle of happiness! Cantina Zaccgnini and off to the register I went, ON SALE! OH THANK YOU LORD…you are good today! In Philly you can find it on sale for $12!

Do you all remember my blog about the first kiss? About how you never know if its going to be good or not? Well, let see how I can compare this, see, this is almost like being set up on a date. So, this man, had a friend (the wine) and he wanted to set us up on a date, but was not sure if we were going to hit it off or not. You see, he really likes his friend, reliable, dependable, stand-up all the way around good friend. Again, don’t forget we are talking about the wine.

And then there is me, I don’t know, I have no idea if I am going to like it, I am just going by what this man has to say, I am going by the label, because if you all don’t know by know, I do not, DO NOT read reviews on the wine before I drink it. And here I sit, making the most amazing spicy ground turkey meat sauce and spaghetti dinner, with nothing but happiness in my heart and happiness in my life right now, and I am about to go into the lions den, so…everyone wants to know….right? You all can’t wait!

Ahhhhhhh AMAZING! Its like the most amazing first kiss, you know the one ladies, where you lift your foot, and he pulls you in. The wine, at first sip, it filled my mouth, and it was dry, but not too dry, it took all of the other flavors out of my mouth and left me with nothing but the silk of its own juice. There was nothing felt on the flesh of my tongue but right at the tip, a slight prick and again at the back of my throat, just to let me know that it was there.

I honestly don’t know if I have tasted something as smooth and fruit forward yet provocative at the same time. Sometimes there are wines that will linger in your mouth long after you taste them, this one, only lingers with a smile and an urge for more.

So, for tonight, I am going to leave you with this, the same words, that man left me with that night, “you may never have a favorite wine, but you may find a favorite moment in there somewhere.”

Cheers!
<3 to MP

1 comment:

Chameleon Multifaceted said...

Thanks for sharing this moment! Your writing is always so visceral! I'm going to have to try this one... Hope UT has it! :)